The Great Get Together – Friday 16 to Sunday 18 June
On the weekend of 16-18 June, the anniversary weekend of the murder of Jo Cox, former MP for Batley and Spen, the Jo Cox Foundation is organising what it hopes will be the biggest street party since the Jubilee: The Great Get Together.
Organisers say “Jo’s killing was meant to divide us and we think the best response is to show how united we are. We believe there is a groundswell of people who reject divisive politics and simply want to bring our communities together and celebrate all that unites us. This is our chance.” Their hope is that this weekend of community events will demonstrate how united people are.
The events are being supported by the Big Lunch, the Big Iftar, the Eden Project, the Inter Faith Network for the UK, the Church Urban Fund, and organisations of a range of different faiths and beliefs as well from across the broad spectrum of society.
The Great Get Together gives faith communities an opportunity to celebrate their work and to meet with others in their community. If you are a faith or inter faith organisation interested in getting involved and supporting the Great Get Together, here are just a few ideas that you might like to consider:
- Encourage your members to get involved or, if you are a local organisation, plan an event together
- Open your church, gurdwara, mandir, mosque, synagogue, temple, vihara or other place of worship, inviting in people of different faiths and beliefs
- Hold a special Great Get Together breakfast, lunch, or supper for guests of different backgrounds
- If you’re fasting for Ramadan you could hold an interfaith Iftar
- Take part in other Great Get Together events near you – meals, sports events, bake-offs, and more
- Work with other faiths or a local inter faith group to write a Great Get Together message of unity for use in local media
- Field a lead walker for the Great Big Walk (see below)
Your event can be held at any time over the three days. For further information and to take part, visit pledge.greatgettogether.org. You’ll then be sent an information pack. You can also email Mike Buckley at the Jo Cox Foundation (firstname.lastname@example.org).
If you are holding an event, please do also keep the Inter Faith Network in touch.
The Great Big Walk
The Big Lunch and the Eden Project are organising The Great Big Walk to tie in with The Great Get Together. Five teams of two walkers will walk from Batley in West Yorkshire to Scotland, Wales, Cornwall, London and Northern Ireland.
Walkers will start in May 2017, arriving for a Big Lunch / Great Get Together event on 18 June. Each day walkers will be visiting community groups along their route to shine a light on the people and projects fostering community spirit.
They are looking for ten lead walkers and a support team for each of the five routes. If you would like to take part or know someone who would like to get involved, further information can be found at https://www.edenprojectcommunities.com/blog/take-part-in-the-great-big-walk.
Best wishes, Harriet Crabtree, Executive Director Interfaith Network